Tokyo Children's Academy's Mission
Tokyo Children's Academy provides a complete learning experience for children who have a insatiable desire to learn, explore, understand and can demonstrate the motivation, social and emotional maturity and overall readiness for the environment of an accelerated educational program. At T.C. Academy we realize that learning is as much a social activity as it is an individual activity, much of what students learn comes from interacting with other people. Thus the nature of the relationships among the people at the school will have a strong influence on students’ learning. By developing a social and academic climate that gives students a strong feeling of belonging; students feel proud of their school, feel they belong; feel they are wanted and nurtured by the Academy.
The Goals at the Tokyo Children's Academy are to:
- Provide an individualized education, that will appropriately challenge each student's abilities, allowing him/her to advance through the curriculum at a pace and capacity consistent with the student's knowledge and motivation.
- Provide access to academic opportunities without discrimination on the basis of chronological age.
- Address each student's unique needs for an accelerated and challenging program, wherein the academic, emotional, social and physical needs and interests of the child's development will be nurtured.
- Provide classes composed of intellectual and developmentally equal peers of similar age and pace of learning. To read the full article click here.
- Provide each student the opportunity to learn in an environment that fosters a healthy self-esteem, integrity, personal responsibility, understanding and appreciation of individual differences, and respect for others.
Promote academic achievement, character development, self-reliance, self-confidence, self-understanding, and independent thought and action.
Foster an atmosphere where risk and exploration can occur.
Provide students with valuable educational tools, including problem-solving skills, deductive reasoning, abstract and higher level thinking skills, good study habits, time management, and ultimately healthy social development.
Provide small classes to allow for personal attention to each child's needs.
Encourage students to excel at their own pace in each subject area and encourages him/her to strive for personal excellence.
Present content that is related to broad based issues, themes or problems while integrating multiple disciplines into the area of study.
Encourage the development of products that challenge existing ideas and produce “new” ideas and that use new techniques, materials and forms.
Constantly evaluate student outcomes by using appropriate and specific criteria through self-appraisal criterion referenced and/or standardized testing instruments in order to promote their optimal development.
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire....
-William Butler Yeats